Were you injured in Boca Raton because of another person’s negligence? One of the many hardships you might face as a result of the accident is lost wages. Even minor injuries can cause you to lose all or part of your income. Keep reading to understand how you can get it back!
Types of Lost Wages You Can Claim
There are two types of lost wages you can claim in your personal injury case:
- Past Lost Income – income lost because of your injuries up until the point of your case being finalized
- Future Lost Earnings – income that you may lose in the future as a result of your injuries.
According to HG.org, past lost income is relatively easy to prove. You will typically need your employer to confirm your absences from work due to the accident and the earnings that you would have received if you had been able to come to work.
HG.org goes on to say that future lost earnings are the most complicated to claim because your future ability to earn wages is usually quite ambiguous. Most personal injury accident victims will experience some form of recovery over time and will be able to return to work either full-time or part-time. But in many cases, there is a “loss of earning capacity.” Because this aspect of the law is very nuanced, an experienced personal injury lawyer is essential.
Reasons You Might Lose Wages After An Accident
There are many possible scenarios for which you can claim compensation for lost wages.
- You might not be able to work at all (or in the same capacity) for a time during your recovery. While you might eventually be able to return to your previous job, you can still claim the wages lost during your recovery time.
- Your physical injuries might not prevent you from going to work, but your emotional injuries do. It’s quite common for accidents to leave victims with psychological damage or PTSD. Emotional damage can prevent you from performing your normal work tasks, which is also ground for claiming lost wages.
- Your injuries might impact your future so that you can’t go back to your previous job, but you can perform some kind of work. You might be able to claim lost wages if the only work you can perform after the accident doesn’t pay as much as your previous job.
Have you been the victim of an accident that has caused or will cause you to lose income in Boca Raton, Florida? Getting trusted legal representation is essential to successfully claiming all of your lost wages. A personal injury lawyer will help you calculate your eligible past and future lost wages and help provide the necessary evidence to successfully claim your compensation! Contact Jeffrey A. Rosenberg at (561) 508-8800 or online.
5255 North Federal Highway, 3rd Floor
Boca Raton, FL 33487