Injured in Boca Raton because of someone else’s negligence? Before you make decisions regarding your personal injury case, it’s important to understand the popular misconceptions around personal injury cases. Enjuris reports 10 of the most common personal injury myths:
- Personal injury cases are always long and drawn out. Enjuris debunks this myth as false, saying that most cases are settled before ever reaching the courtroom. If you’ve been involved in an accident or suffered injuries because of someone else’s negligence, don’t put off filing a case because you think it will take too long to be worthwhile. An experienced personal injury attorney can usually help you quickly get the compensation you need for medical bills and repair costs.
- Minor injuries aren’t worth a personal injury case. Even minor injuries can lead to expensive medical treatments such as physical therapy. And no matter how “minor” your injuries are, you’re still entitled under law to claim compensation. In fact, the less serious your injuries are, the more likely that your insurance company will try to get you to accept a settlement that is far too low. Oftentimes, these settlements aren’t enough to cover even the most basic medical expenses for your injuries. Secure a fair compensation amount with the help of an attorney!
- The at-fault party will have to pay for damages out of pocket. Maybe you are hesitant to file a personal injury case because you believe the myth that the at-fault party will have to pay your compensation out of pocket. Understandably, you might not want to make someone else’s life miserable. However, Enjuris says that in most cases, the other party’s insurance company will be who ends up paying any settlement you’re awarded.
- Insurance holders don’t need a personal injury lawyer. Falling for this myth can lead to some serious regrets, especially since your battle for compensation with often be against your insurance company! Insurance companies are out to make a profit, and getting a fair settlement without an attorney’s help can be nearly impossible sometimes!
- Personal injury cases can be filed anytime. Believing this myth can be costly, because the truth is that most states have a statute of limitations that limit the time you have to seek compensation. Under Florida state law, victims typically have four years after the accident to file for compensation, according to AllLaw.
- Compensation for losses is guaranteed. While it’s true that many personal injury cases result in some type of settlement, you are never guaranteed compensation. There’s a myth that personal injury cases result in “easy money,” but the reality is that the unique details of each case and the differing opinions of judges who will decide your case mean that nothing is certain. This uncertainty is another good reason to hire an experienced attorney.
- You only have one chance to be compensated for your claims. This myth is true! After a personal injury claim has been heard and a decision has been reached, the result is typically final. Similarly, accepting a settlement with an insurance company means you’re waiving your right to seek further compensation.
- Holding out will result in larger settlements. While holding out for bigger settlement offers is sometimes the best strategy for some cases, Enjuris notes that finding a competent personal injury attorney to negotiate your best possible settlement is more effective than simply holding out for no concrete reason.
- People who file personal injury cases are frivolous or greedy. Unfortunately, the media has fed a stigma that many personal injury lawsuits are frivolous and greedy attempts to make easy money. But there is no reason why you should feel guilty for filing a personal injury case! Most of the people who file personal injury lawsuits are legitimately injured in accidents and are honest people seeking much-needed compensation.
- Courts are bogged down with personal injury cases – meaning you’ll face delays if you file. This myth causes some people to hesitate to file a personal injury case. But there’s no reason why an aggressive personal injury attorney can’t move your case along in a reasonable timeframe. According to the National Center for State Courts, personal injury cases have declined by 25% since 1999. Only 7% of civil cases are torts, which is the area of law concerned with personal injury cases such as car accident liability, medical malpractice, defective product claims and so on. Never let the fear of inconvenience stop you from pursuing justice!
Were you injured in an accident caused by negligence in the Boca Raton, Florida area? Don’t miss out on the compensation you deserve! Call (561) 508-8800 to get started or send us a message online.